Just a place to put together some thoughts on Java, Technology and Other Stuff (tm) that interests me.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Carb rebuild and leaking like a sieve..

I took the carburetor off and used a gasket set to replace all the old gaskets. I also cleaned it out well and blew out the jets. Everything looked great. While I had the carb out I decided to drain the tank and clean out the sediment trap and tank screen. I fixed the routing of the cables and the fuel line too. Everything seemed to be looking up. I put it all back together and it leaked like a sieve. I think it leaked fuel faster than it used to come out of the tank.

So I learned that if you're going to clean and rebuild a carb, spend the extra $5 and get the kit with the float, pin and needle valve. Now I have to order parts and wait for the them to come in before I can work on the running parts.

I did spent a bit of time adding some electrical bits. I started it up, even with all the leakage, and what do you know, I have working running lights. That means the voltage output and regulator work, which is another positive.

I also took some time and pounded out some dents. I find it's cathartic to do that sort of work. A dolly and pick and big honking ballpeen hammer that was from my wife's aunt's house. It's old and crusty like a lot of the Vespa. But it's a great tool for doing metal work because it moves the metal around so easily.

So I'll order some parts and work on other bits until I can staunch the flow of gasoline. That stuff's much better going down the throat of the carb..

No comments: